Monday, June 29, 2009

Recipe Monday - Wheat and Dairy Free Fruit Sponge

Apple or Fruit Sponge
I was really impressed with how well this one worked. Please note that it was not gluten free but is wheat and dairy free. From "The New Zealand Food Allergy Cookbook"



400g Stewed or Canned Fruit. (I used a can of Peach slices)


Sponge topping:

75g dairy free margarine

100g Castor sugar

2 eggs

100g flour mixture (my scales are not that accurate so I used 1/3 cup each, rye, rice and potato)

2tsp baking powder (gluten free)


Preheat oven to 170 degrees C


Grease a 22 cm pudding or pie dish, I used a 22cm casserole dish. Put prepared or canned fruit into dish and leave in oven to warm while you mix the sponge.

Cream the margarine and sugar until white and fluffy.

Add egg and beat well.

Sift in mixed flours and baking powder.

Pour over hot fruit and bake for 35- 40 mins.I think mine might have taken a bit longer I just waited for the skewer test.


Husband is dairy free so he had this with no additions and loved it. The girls and I had cream, delicious. A lovely warming pudding for winter.
Go and visit Jemma for the yummiest looking sticky date pudding and other recipes

No comments: